Facility Usage Guidelines
1. ReservationsAny individual or organization (hereafter, “Applicant”) wanting to reserve rooms/facilities at the Downtown Library or at the Spanish River Library and Community Center (hereafter, “Library” or “Library Premises”), must contact the Room & Event Coordinator (hereafter, “Coordinator”) by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by calling 561-367-7016. A Special Events Request Form must also be completed (https://www.myboca.us/FormCenter/Library-10/Special-Event-Request-Form-71).
After receiving the online request, the Coordinator will discuss the event with the Applicant to determine if any specific equipment or furnishings layout may be needed. The Coordinator will process an Event Application and will provide a written confirmation for the reservation to the Applicant upon receipt of payment.
2. Fees, Payment, Cancellations, and RefundsFees are posted on the Library’s website (https://www.myboca.us/1053/Event-Planning). Full payment of the room rental fee is due 30 days prior to the event, and payment for equipment rental items is due 14 days prior to the event. All payments made by personal check must be accompanied by a valid driver’s license. Payments not received prior to their due dates must be in the form of a cashier’s check or money order.
Cancellation by the Applicant should be made as soon as possible by contacting the Coordinator. Fees, with the exception of the $25.00 application fee, will be refunded. (Recommend changing to $35 in User Fee Schedule FY18/19)
If the Library closes because of weather or other unforeseen circumstances, the use of the room is cancelled. The Applicant will be notified as soon as possible, and attempts will be made to reschedule the event. If the event cannot be rescheduled, all fees and deposits, with the exception of the $25.00 application fee, will be refunded.
3. Non-Profit OrganizationsNon-profit organizations may request no more than one (1) reservation per month, for a total of 12 reservations within a calendar year; however, the Library will not guarantee the same location each time. A copy of the 501(c) determination letter must be submitted along with the application.
4. Event SetupAll event setup information must be provided by the Applicant in writing at least one week prior to the event. Setup is permitted up to four (4) hours before the start of the event.
5. Backup for Outdoor EventsAt the Spanish River Library, the Mezzanine will serve as an indoor backup to outdoor events that may experience poor weather conditions. The Applicant must inform the Coordinator within 24 hours of the event start time if the event is to be moved indoors.
6. Wedding PhotosUse of the exterior grounds for wedding photos is permitted. Wedding photos may also be taken inside the Library after Library hours, but no later than 8:00 p.m. No commercial filming is allowed on Library property without prior written consent from the City of Boca Raton.
7. SmokingPursuant to Florida Statute 386.204, a person may not smoke in a public place or at a public meeting except in designated smoking areas.
8. AnimalsAnimals, other than Service Animals as defined by Title II and Title III of the ADA, are not allowed on Library Premises. The Service Animal must be under control by the handler at all times and may not be left unattended. If the animal is out of control or is not housebroken, staff may ask the handler to remove the animal from the premises (Florida Statute 413.08 (f)).
9. InsuranceThe Applicant is responsible for each vendor having adequate insurance as listed on the Event Application. Additional specialized insurance may be required for certain events and/or vendors.
10. Alcoholic BeveragesAlcoholic beverages are permitted at events but are not allowed in the Library portions of the building. Insurance is required, as noted on the Event Application, and alcoholic beverages must be served by a licensed bartender. The event must be a private event, and not open to the public.
11. ActivitiesRooms/facilities must be used for activities which are compatible with the Library environment and do not interfere with its operations. Sale of products or services, charging admission or registration fees, and/or soliciting donations on Library Premises, other than in conjunction with a program or event sponsored or hosted by the Library or the Friends of the Boca Raton Public Library, are prohibited.
12. Attendee ConductApplicants are responsible for the conduct of all event participants, event guests, and vendors. All attendees must abide by these Guidelines, regulations set forth by the City of Boca Raton, and the Library’s Rules of Conduct (https://www.myboca.us/972/Rules-of-Conduct).
13. Equipment, Furnishings, and DecorationsSome equipment and furnishings are available for rent from the Library. Applicants may also contract with a third party for rental of equipment/furnishings; such equipment must be brought in and removed on the day of the event. Library staff will be responsible for moving and removing Library equipment/furnishings only. Furniture and/or equipment may not be brought into the event space from other areas of the Library. The Applicant should contact the Coordinator to discuss specific equipment or furnishing needs. Decorations are not permitted to be attached, taped, nailed or otherwise fastened to the ceiling, walls or windows.
14. Facility Usage and Responsibility
Applicants should ensure that the room/facility is as clean and orderly as possible upon completion of the event. All trash should be in the receptacles provided, all personal effects, equipment, and decorations must be removed, all food and drinks must be removed from the refrigerator and kitchen area, and any outside directional signage must be removed at the completion of the event. Any spills or other problems should be reported immediately to Maintenance Staff. The Applicant is responsible for any damage to the facility, equipment, and grounds by attendees and vendors. Damages will be billed, and payment must be made within 30 days to the City of Boca Raton.
This reservation is granted with the understanding that applicant shall hold the Boca Raton Public Library and the City of Boca Raton harmless from and indemnify such parties against all liabilities, damages, claims, actions, costs, charges and expenses arising out of, or in connections with, any damage or injury occurring in or on the premises, except to the extent by the negligence or willful misconduct of the Boca Raton Public Library, and/or the City of Boca Raton.
16. Personally Supplied ElectronicsGroups and individuals may bring their own computers or other electronic devices. Wireless service is available throughout the Library, though the Library cannot guarantee its availability or efficacy 100% of the time. The Library accepts no responsibility or liability regarding the use or care of personally supplied equipment.
17. GratuitiesCity policy prohibits any City employee from accepting gifts, gratuities, complimentary items or other favors from groups or individuals using the facilities.
18. Safety and Security• Exit Doors: Exit routes must be kept clear. Exit signs, fire pull boxes, and fire extinguishers must remain clearly visible and unobstructed.
• Room Capacity: The maximum capacity set by law is posted in each area. Federal and local laws prohibit exceeding the maximum capacity of a room.
• Candles, Smoke, and Open Flames: Candles, incense, or any other smoke or flame producing devices are not permitted inside the buildings.
• Electrical Cords: All extension and equipment cords must be taped down.
Rev: May 2018