Red Reef Park West Wall Mural
Update 10/9/18: Meet the Artists of the Red Reef Mural Project
Starting this week, the City of Boca Raton will feature the six artists selected for the very first Art in Public Places (AIPP) project: the Red Reef Park West Wall Mural. After receiving 47 applications for the project, the City's AIPP Advisory Board selected these individual artists based on their extensive professional backgrounds in street art and their concept designs for the mural. The project will promote Boca Raton as a focal point for South Florida culture, creativity and entrepreneurial energy and will attract support for the Gumbo Limbo Nature Center by improving the appearance of the south boardwalk entrance. The artists will be painting their assigned walls from October 6 - October 19.
Meet the Artists
- Meet Ivan Roque Opens a New Window. - Meet our 6th and final mural artist selected for Boca Raton's first public art project and hear about how he got involved in mural painting.
"I felt that it would be very historical to be one of the pioneers within this new movement going on in Boca Raton."
- Meet Peter Agardy Opens a New Window. - Meet our 5th mural artists selected by the Art in Public Places Advisory Board and hear why he applied for this mural project.
"It will kind of go with the trend of a lot of cities that have caught on board with murals, sculptures."
- Meet Tom D'Auria Opens a New Window. - Hear from our 4th mural artist selected by the Art in Public Places Advisory Board and what he thinks about art in the Boca Raton community.
"I was hoping my mural would be a reflection of the natural surrounding here."
- Meet Georgeta Fondos Opens a New Window. - Hear from our 3rd mural artist selected by the Art in Public Places Advisory Board.
"When I think of Boca, I think of something colorful, bright, optimistic."
- Meet Kristin Pavlick - Hear from our second mural artist selected by the Art in Public Places Advisory Board and how she caught the "public art bug."
"I don't remember life without paint."
- Meet Craig McInnis - Hear what inspires Craig and why he wanted to participate in this exciting project here in our City.
"Boca is already beautiful but a little more color wouldn't hurt."
The public unveiling will be held on October 20, 2018 from 9am to 11:30am at 1371 N Ocean Blvd. For more details visit the Event Page Opens a New Window. .
Art In Public Places Board Selects Artists for First Mural Project
After receiving 47 applications for the City's first Call to Artists, the Art in Public Places (AIPP) Board met on September 5, 2018 and selected six artists for the mural project at Red Reef Park West and six alternates. Artists will begin creating in September and the mural reveals are scheduled for October 20, 2018. Congratulations to all!
- Ivan Roque
- Craig McInnis
- Tom D'Auria
- Georgeta Fondos
- Kristin Pavlick
- Peter Agardy
- Ben Heller
- Gregory Dirr
- Yevgeniy (Gene) Shurakov
- Agata Ren
- Nicholas Cordes
- Cody Parker
Red Reef Park West Wall Mural "Call to Artists" Application
The City of Boca Raton Art in Public Places Advisory Board is seeking Request For Qualifications from artists for the Red Reef Park West Wall Murals.
The City is currently accepting applications from artists skilled in visual arts (murals). The preferred artist(s) will have an extensive background in street art with proven results in public spaces, civic and community engagement to create innovative temporary public art project(s). (Documentation that demonstrates experience must be provided.)
Proposed art should: promote the general view of the City of Boca Raton as a focal point for South Florida culture, creativity and entrepreneurial energy; encourage future public/private partnerships between local arts and culture initiatives; generate awareness of and attract support for the Gumbo Limbo Nature Center; and improve the overall aesthetic appearance of the south boardwalk entrance of the Gumbo Limbo Nature Center and Red Reef West Park.
THE SUBMISSION DEADLINE IS FRIDAY, AUGUST 31, 2018 AT 5:00PM EST
- Aug. 31, 2018 Submission Deadline for proposal 5:00pm
- Sept. 5, 2018 Selection of Finalists (attendance required)
- Sept. 7, 2018 Notification to Finalists
- Sept. 20, 2018 Submission Deadline of Final Rendering 5:00pm
- Sept. 27, 2018 Approval of Final Renderings for Murals (attendance required)
- Oct. 6-19, 2018 Initial preparation of wall and commencement of murals
- Oct. 20, 2018 Mural Reveals (11:00am or other time to be determined by City)