Social Media Policy
The City of Boca Raton's social media pages are intended to serve as a mechanism for communication between the public and the City of Boca Raton on various city-related posted topics. Under Florida law, all content on the City of Boca Raton’s social media pages may be subject to public records law, Chapter 119, Florida Statutes. By becoming a fan/follower of the City of Boca Raton, your information and comments may be a matter of public record. The City may be required to retain this information in accordance with the State of Florida retention schedule. Public disclosure requests must be directed to the City Clerk’s Office.
Additionally, email addresses may be public records. If you do not want your email address to be released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this site.
The City reserves the right to restrict or remove any content that is deemed in violation of this policy or any applicable law. The City’s intent is not to create a public forum, but to maintain a moderated online discussion directly relating to the topics posted by the City that is appropriate for citizens.
The City’s social media site articles, posts and comments, when permitted, shall not contain any of the following and will be removed as soon as possible:
- Comments not topically related to the particular social medium article
- Content in support of or opposition to political campaigns or ballot measures
- Profane or vulgar language or content
- Content that promotes, fosters, or perpetuates discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, age, religion, gender, national origin, or physical or mental disability
- Sexual content or links to sexual content
- Links to or references to commercial websites, spam or any third party website unless posted by the City’s approved authorized staff users for links to partnered/sponsored organizations, confirmed governmental agencies or other legitimate organizations as the City deems appropriate.
- Conduct or encouragement of violent or illegal activity
- Personal or character attacks
- Content that violates a copyright, trademark or other legal ownership interest of any other party
- Information that may compromise the safety or security of the public or public systems
The City of Boca Raton may ban repeat violators from posting to the City’s social media accounts, as well as remove comments at any time.
Visit our Social Media page for a list of and links to the City of Boca Raton's social media accounts.