Accessibility in the City
The City of Boca Raton’s Recreation Services Department is dedicated to providing enjoyable recreational experiences to all residents and visitors through inclusive programming and accessible facility design and accommodations.
- Wheelchair Clinic - Every Tuesday, free elite wheelchair tennis clinic from 5:30pm - 8pm.
Beach mats - Beach mats are located at the middle tunnel of Spanish River and the boardwalk at South Beach Pavilion and can be used in a multitude of applications for individuals of all abilities, including pedestrians and wheelchairs. The approved mat placement is a straight length from the boardwalk or tunnel to the beach. These mats will be accessible all year long.
Beach wheelchairs - for those with special needs, beach wheelchairs are available. Please speak to the Gate Attendant upon arrival.
A new playground that has a pour and play surface for easy traversal, wheelchair-bound patrons can navigate throughout the entire area and transfer stations that offer access up throughout the entire playground
The southern part of the park will feature a large ADA accessible park and restrooms, and a long walking path which will provide amenities for able and disabled patrons
Three-story scientific playground. New features that were designed for a more inclusive park experience. Unique features include new flooring, wheelchair accessible swings, sensory walls, stand-up spinner, roller table, quiet nook, sign language alphabet board, and more. All ramps are wide enough for patrons in wheelchairs and their caregivers. Ramps include new handrails as well.
- Boca Boating and Beach Bash for People with Disabilities
- The nation’s largest free event for kids, adults and wounded warriors with special needs. The Bash reaches out to embrace the estimated 20% of Florida residents who live with physical and/or intellectual challenges. Dubbed "The Miracle on the Intracoastal" volunteers take patrons on boat rides and provide a fun-filled day full of activities, vendors, resources and more.
- View the 2020 Boating and Beach Bash - Sunday, March 1 | 10am - 3pm at Spanish River Park. FREE Event.
- Especially for Kids - Sugar Sand Park
- Free event for children with special needs and abilities and their families. Families enjoy exclusive access to park amenities including carousel rides, the Children’s Science Explorium, and all-access Science Playground. Activities also include dancing, glitter tattoos, art activities, petting zoo, resource fair exhibitors, food and more!
- Social Skills Classes - Sugar Sand Park
- All children with autism, ADHS, and other related disabilities are welcome to Social Skills classes. Kids are placed with groups to complete activities such as arts and crafts, creative play/drama, and yoga.
- Parent Lectures - Sugar Sand Park
- Designed to help parents manage everyday issues surrounding kids with special needs, these one-hour lectures will focus on a specific topic with time for discussion and questions.
- Sensory-Friendly Saturday - Children’s Science Explorium
- Starting in May, the first Saturday of each month offers patrons an opportunity to explore the museum in a sensory modified setting with sound and lighting adjustments.
- Sensory-Friendly Movies - Sugar Sand Park
- Spend your Sunday watching classics that the whole family can enjoy. Limited seating.
The Palm Tran Connection is a shared ride, door-to-door paratransit service that provides transportation for disabled residents and visitors in Palm Beach County. Connection schedules all trips, prepares vehicle manifests, handles customer concerns and commendations, determines eligibility, and monitors the performance of the Transportation Providers.
Tri-Rail trains and stations are accessible to persons with disabilities. Elevators and passenger walkways are available to access station platforms and garages. All connecting Tri-Rail shuttle buses, as well as Palm Tran buses, are equipped with wheelchair lifts.