- Recreation Services
- Gumbo Limbo Nature Center
- Volunteering at Gumbo Limbo Nature Center
Volunteering at Gumbo Limbo Nature Center
- Do you like marine animals?
- Is education your passion?
- Do you like to meet and talk to new people every day?
If so, then we need you! There are multiple volunteer positions available at Gumbo Limbo! Our volunteers contribute over 30,000 hours annually! We could not survive without the tireless efforts of our capable, dedicated volunteers... people just like YOU!
The Volunteer Program is housed under the City of Boca Raton.
- Be at least 16 years of age
- Commit to working at least one 4-hour shift a week for a minimum of 6 months
Benefits of Volunteering
- Volunteer appreciation events
- Ongoing educational opportunities
- Free or discounted reservations for Gumbo Limbo programs
- Opportunity to meet new people and learn new things
- HAVE FUN!
How to Apply
- Email us to request an interview
- If accepted:
- complete City of Boca Raton volunteer application and a level 2 background check
- attend a new volunteer orientation (offered 1-2 times a month)
Check out our Volunteer Positions!
Summer Volunteer Programs
Summer High School Student Volunteer Program
Program Full, please check back next March for our 2024 summer program.
Volunteers can earn community service hours for school while learning about Florida's coastal and marine environments. Only 35 applicants are accepted into the program.
- Be 16-18 years old
- Commit to volunteering 50+ hours during summer break
- any service hours will not be signed for unless the student has completed 50 or more hours.
- Interview with the volunteer coordinator BEFORE May 31.
- If accepted, attend a new volunteer orientation at Gumbo Limbo on Sunday, May 21.
How to Apply:
- Email Dawn Perez to request a volunteer application.
- Submit the application via email to Dawn Perez. The next step, if chosen, will be an interview.
Students will work with staff and experienced volunteers to learn about Florida's coastal environment and marine species. Students will gain experience in customer service, public speaking, educating the public, and assist with leading programs. As volunteers, students will be environmental educators, teaching guests of all ages about Gumbo Limbo and the ecosystems represented at the center.
Counselor in Training (CIT) Volunteer
Do you want to develop your leadership skills? Do you love working with children? Are you passionate about nature and marine conservation? Do you want to have fun while gaining valuable experience this Summer? Become a Gumbo Limbo CIT!
- Be at least 16 years old (at least 18 to work teen camp weeks)
- Commit to working at least 2 full weeks of summer camp
- Interview with the volunteer coordinator and camp director
- If selected, attend Mandatory Orientation/training sessions
How to Apply:
- Request full position description and a volunteer application.
- Submit the application. The next step, if chosen, will be an interview.
CITs will be responsible for helping staff lead camp programs. Camp activities include seining, kayaking, crafts, games, snorkeling, science projects, and more!
The City of Boca Raton does not currently offer internships at Gumbo Limbo Nature Center. Gumbo Limbo Coastal Stewards offers one 7-month sea turtle rehabilitation internship on a rotating basis. Please visit their website for additional information.