Follow us on Spotify!
City of Boca Raton Social Media Policy - Community Guidelines
The City of Boca Raton's social media accounts are intended to serve as a medium for the City to communicate information to the public on topics chosen solely by the City. It is the express intent of the City that each of its social media accounts only constitutes a limited public forum (and not any other type of public forum). Some of the City’s social media accounts may allow members of the public (“users”) to comment upon, share, or otherwise interact with social media content (“post”) of the City, or with comments of other users. If allowed by the City, the comments are subject to the viewpoint-neutral rules and restrictions described below.
(1) The City may delete, report to the platform’s moderators, hide (i.e., render viewable only to the user who posted it), no longer allow comments on the City’s post(s), and/or take other appropriate action regarding any comments that the City determines contain the following:
- Content that is off topic from the topic chosen by the City to be discussed;
- Content that is profane, obscene, or vulgar, and content that is inappropriate for immature audiences (including sexual content or links to sexual content);
- Content that promotes, encourages, fosters, or perpetuates discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, age, religion, gender, national origin, or physical or mental disability;
- Links to and/or promotion of any third-party websites;
- Threats of violence or encouragement of violent activity;
- Reference to or encouragement of illegal activity;
- Content that violates a copyright, trademark, or other legal ownership interest of any other party;
- Information that may compromise public safety, or the safety or security of the public, public infrastructure, or public systems;
- Any information that is confidential or exempt from public disclosure under Chapter 119, Florida Statutes, any other section of Florida Statutes, or any other applicable law; and
- Content that may be deleted, reported, hidden, or otherwise acted upon pursuant to applicable law.
(2) By commenting or otherwise interacting with the City’s social media accounts, users agree and acknowledge that user comments do not reflect the City’s opinions or views.
(3) The City’s social media accounts are not regularly monitored. Therefore, users’ comments that violate the rules and restrictions set out in Paragraph 1, above, may be deleted, reported, hidden, or otherwise acted upon by the City any time after it is posted (i.e., a comment may continue to be visible for a period of time prior to being acted upon).
(4) Under Florida law, all posts on the City’s social media accounts may be subject to the Florida Public Records Act (Chapter 119, Florida Statutes). Therefore, users’ comments on the City’s social media pages may constitute public records. The City will retain all users’ comments on the City’s social media pages in accordance with Florida Law and may produce such posts in response to a public records request.
(5) These rules do not impose any duty on the City to act or fail to act for the benefit, protection or interests of any third parties.
(6) The process for disputing City action with regard to a user comment is as follows.
(a) Any user whose comment is deleted or hidden from a City social media account may submit a written request to review the City’s decision. The request must include all material facts and arguments underlying the request and a detailed explanation as to why the comment does not violate the rules and regulations set out in Paragraph 1, above, or applicable law.
(b) The written request must be emailed or mailed to:
Chrissy Gibson, Assistant City Manager
201 W. Palmetto Park Rd.
Boca Raton, FL 33432
(c) The Assistant City Manager or her designee will review the request, determine whether the City’s action was consistent with the rules and regulations set out in Paragraph 1 and applicable law, and provide a response to the user via U.S. Mail (or email, if one is provided) within thirty (30) business days of the receipt of the request.