On Thursday, May 4 and Friday, May 5, 2017, City Council members met with the City’s Executive Leadership team and heard comments from the public in order to develop strategic goals for the 2017-2018 Fiscal Year. With the guidance of moderator Lyle Sumek, elected officials and staff discussed and ranked current challenges and opportunities and then determined actions for the upcoming year. In years past, the end of the joint session yielded the top priorities and goals of the Council and then the staff worked throughout the year to implement the goals. Because the City has committed to longer term, multiyear projects, the session ended with prioritization of the longer term projects. Although not yet ranked, some of the multiyear projects that were discussed included:
- The Waterfront Master Plan
- Selling the Municipal Golf Course
- Working with the Greater Boca Raton Beach and Parks District to purchase, redevelop and operate the Ocean Breeze Golf Course
- The Municipal Campus Master Plan
- University Corridor and Town & Gown Relationship with FAU
- Downtown Transportation/Transit and Garage
- Midtown Land Development Regulations
Mr. Sumek will reconvene with staff in the coming weeks to determine deliverables and benchmarks for these projects and possibly others over the next year, and then a final joint meeting with staff and council members will determine the priorities and deliverables for each goal in 2017-2018.
A video of the two day session can be viewed on the City’s website or on Channel 20 (Comcast), Channel 99 (AT&T) or Channel 395 (Hotwire) on Thursdays and Fridays from 12:00 pm-6:30 pm and on Mondays at 7:00 pm.