Friday, April 22 is Earth Day. This year's theme is "Invest in Our Planet." The City is investing in our planet through embedding sustainability and resiliency throughout the City's operations.
Most recently, the City Council decided to sign the City on to the Cities Race to Zero, a pledge signed by more than 1,000 cities globally to commit to limiting global warming to 1.5°C by reaching global net zero carbon emissions before 2050. This commitment, in tandem with the the Sustainability Action Plan, will continue the City's work to invest not only in the planet, but in the future and well being of Boca Raton.
Cities Race to Zero
In March 21, 2022 Boca Raton City Council decided to commit the City of Boca Raton to the Cities Race to Zero Pledge. Mayor Scott Singer signed the pledge, committing the City of Boca Raton to do:
- Endorse certain principles.
- Adopt a science-based emission reduction target consistent with the Paris Agreement's goal of limiting global temperature rise to 1.5°C.
- Plan and immediately begin implementing specific inclusive climate policies across buildings, transport, waste, clean energy, food, nature, and other key sectors.
Learn more on the Race to Zero webpage.
Take Action: Environmental Awareness Days and Events
There are many ways to get involved this Earth Month! Visit the Take Action page to learn more about the upcoming events listed below:
- April 21 | 6:30 - 8pm - Ecowatch Lecture Series at the Downtown Boca Library
- April 23 | 8am - 11am - Great American Cleanup
- April 23 | 11am and 2pm shows - The Pout Pout Fish at the Willow Theatre in Sugar Sand Park
- April 29 - May 2 - City Nature Challenge
- April 30 | 9am - 11am - Bioblitz at Pondhawk Natural Area
Save the Date - Project Shade Tree
May 7 - Project Shade Tree | Join the City of Boca Raton, the Boca Raton Beautification Committee, and Community Greening for a FREE tree give away of fruiting and native trees. Pre-registration required. City of Boca Raton residents only. More details and registration link...
Sign Up for the Sustainability Newsletter
The Office of Sustainability has a NEW quarterly newsletter to deliver all of the latest information and efforts to help the City in its sustainable initiatives. Sign up to receive emails or check out the inaugural first issues below: